Monday, April 7, 2008

Breakthrough

I was inspired last night. I received word over the weekend of a submission call, but as I have never read any of this particular anthology stories (actually, it turns out that one of the stories is on my TBB list!), I wasn't sure I was up to the task.

But guess what?

I've been plodding along with a current WIP, and I'll write a scene here, a scene there, and figure that eventually everything will come together, right? I think it finally has.

Only....I'm getting bogged down in the backstory. I read somewhere an author gave an manuscript to her critique partner, who pointed out her 'story' actually started around page 50 or something like that. I went to bed thinking about where I wanted my characters to go next, and the email popped into my head. Okay...only in my story, the characters haven't even dated yet. So maybe I need to create a scene where they don't know each other, but they meet and the chemistry blows them away, something like what I've created for my story 'Head of the Class'?

I mulled it over while I was soothing my 'I'm-not-sleepy-(yawn)-Mommy' toddler and as soon as he fell asleep, the idea came to me. Nope, not going to tell you what it was; as soon as I get some time to myself, I'll commit it to paper/Word Document and see if it will work. Since several scenes are already written, the conflict is already established and should flow as soon as I get them into bed for the first time!

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent - you'll do fine - remember what I said out heat and where to apply it