Thursday, October 19, 2017

Reading, Shaun Cassidy, and Steve #MFRW Authors #42

What was my 1st love?  Since I'm not sure which 1st love we're supposed to mention, either hobby-wise, Romantic Interest, or Celebrity Crush, I'll cover all three.

Reading:
Since you've been reading my posts for the past 42 weeks, you know by now I fell in love with the written word as soon as my mom read me Cinderella.  At the tender age of 11, I discovered how to write down these stories in my head.

"That's Rock-n-Roll"
Okay, to be fair, Shaun Cassidy and Donny Osmund occurred at about the same time.  I soooo wanted to be on the Donny and Marie Show as an ice skater, and maybe he'd 'discover' my *cough* singing ability and let me sing with him.

I rarily missed an episode of The Hardy Boys, and when Shaun Cassidy began singing....wow.  Just....wow.

*side note*  Both were actually replaced in my heart about the 4th time I saw Star Wars.  Harrison Ford (Han Solo if you've been living under a rock the past 40 years) swept me off my feet (I wish!!) when I realized he was MUCH better looking than Mark Hamill!  (Sorry Luke....)

First Kiss:
I met Steve when we were 10 and 11, through our parents.  When Steve's parents spent six months in Colorado on sabbatical, I began writing letters to him and his twin brother.  My family joined them for two weeks of camping and driving all over Colorado, so we were spent two solid weeks of togetherness, even sleeping in the same tent a few times!  By the 3rd day, we were 'officially going together', holding hands whenever no one was looking, and he held open doors, unfolded napkins, and in general, treated me like a queen (I was 12, he was 11).  At the end of our vacation,  I left for home counting down the weeks until Steve's family would return.

We held an 'unpacking party' for them a month later, and right before we were to leave, Steve called me to his room, and after we shooed his brother and my sister out, he came over and kissed me on the cheek.  I kissed him back, then was starry-eyed all the way home!

We only saw each other once a week, or twice if our parents got together, and this 'relationship' lasted four more years, until we realized our hormones were now 'raging' for other people, lol!  Still, we remained good friends, and I even attended his wedding in 1991.

What was YOUR first love, be it hobby, opposite sex, or otherwise?

To see others', go here.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your first love came along nice and early. I was expecting you to say that you married Steve, though.

peggy jaeger said...

Kenzie - we must be near the same age. I lovelovelove Shaun Cassidy. Never missed an episode of The Hardy Boys!!!!!!! DOnny was a cutie then, too. He aged well.

Maureen said...

Ahh..."going steady" :) Kids wouldn't know what we were talking about to say that now.

Unknown said...

Lol, you're going to laugh when you read my post because I was in love with David Cassidy! Donny and Shaun were pretty cute, too. And, like Ed, I thought you were going to say you married Steve. :)

Meka James said...

Cute story with you and Steve.

You pulled this week's post together way better than I did. I enjoyed reading it. :)

Kenzie Michaels said...

@Ed and Robin: LOL....we reconnected in college for a brief month, but when I learned he was considering entering the ministry, I just couldn't picture myself the wife of a pastor. Then we reconnected again three months before his wedding, but it was obvious he and his bride-to-be were very much in love. My date to the wedding was my future hubby; in fact, he and I married two months later.

@Peggy: Yes he has:) I'd still love to go to Branson to see them perform. I follow Shaun on FB and jokingly 'told' him if he ever decides to perform again and needs a back up singer, to contact me...;)

@Maureen: According to my daughter, they now 'hang out'. I told my mom I was now going with Steve, and she asked, 'Going where?' I believe I rolled my eyes. 'He's my boyfriend, MOM!'

Kenzie Michaels said...

@Meka: Thank you:)

Unknown said...

That's a sweet first kiss story. I'm glad you stayed friends for so long :)

Helen Henderson said...

Sweet story of a first. My age was different enough that Donny and Shawn never intrigued me. However, Han Solor and Ilya Kuryakin (aka David McCallum aka Ducky) were definitely to my taste.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you about Han Solo. I've been told my ex looks like Harrison. I see the resemblance. I love your sweet story about Steve. Have a great weekend.

RaineB said...

LOL, what Ed said! But that was still a very cute memory! Thanks for sharing, Kenzie

Kenzie Michaels said...

Thanks for stopping by!