Monday, May 9, 2011

Strange; I Hadn't Noticed....

When I first thought about the recurring themes in my books, I thought it would be easy. Romance, right?

And then I spent last week thinking about all the books I've written.

Drinking. Infidelity. Various social issues. Jumping to (wrong) conclusions. Trust issues, which ultimately lead to some sort of verbal or emotional abuse, be it past or present.

And then there's the current one.

I had a crit partner read the first three chapters, and he pointed out several things I hadn't noticed.
- I've got a lot of rivalry going on. Sibling rivalry; romantic entanglements; past teenage conflicts; competition.
- I also have an older brother portrayed as being stuck in small town, old fashioned values.
- And, yes, the heroine's past lover dumped her for someone 'more connected'.

Where do these come from?
I know the small town, prudish attitudes are due to living in one, plus the fact I'm currently watching past episodes of a favorite TV show, and the narrow-mindedness of my spouse's family.

I dated an alcoholic, plus witnessed a lot of drinking in college. I also have it in my family, so I'm careful not to overdo it when I drink socially. I know my limits, and stick to them.

I've been on both sides of the infidelity issue, so I'm well aware of the pain it brings, as well as the trust issues.

And I admit, I endured a lot of teasing while growing up, and dreamed of 'proving everyone wrong'. I'm sort of over that now, having proved that point the last several years.

So is my subconscious trying to tell me something? Or is this just an outlet for all the stress I've felt lately?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think we tend to write about experiences we've had. I know a few pop up in my books all the time. Maybe it's therapy for you. :)