Tuesday, May 17, 2011

BICHOK....But no Words??

I've thought about the topic of No-Fail Writing Tactics, and coming up blank. Of course, there are different forms of writing, and if you're not familiar with the acronym BICHOK, it stands for Butt In Chair Hands (or Fingers) On Keyboard. During my first NaNoWriMo, this worked. Sure, I wrote a bunch of idiotic words and endless descriptions, but I accomplished my word count. And sometimes the brain got tired of the the stupidity and inspiration would strike.

Lately, the only thing I've managed to accomplish are journal entries. I sit down to write my latest wip, but instead, I end up pouring my thoughts onto a blank document.

For a while, the word wars on Twitter jump-started the creativity, but lately I just can't seem to be even motivated to sign into the site. I'm not sure if it's depression, or laziness, but I open the document and the finger-brain connection just isn't there.

And another urge is getting stronger. Other characters who've been on the back burner for several years are beginning to demand attention. I've set the wheels in motion; I'll know in a week if it will work.

So at the moment I'm not the person to offer advice on how to write when the words aren't flowing, or the characters go on vacation without you. What works for me won't necessarily work for someone else.

And sometimes, all it takes is an email from an editor, reader, or simply time off to recharge. Whatever it takes, I'll be ready for the day when the flood of words return and I'll have to be dragged from the computer kicking and screaming.

2 comments:

barbara huffert said...

I know what you mean. When my characters are quiet I don't know quite what to do. Lately, I've been tapping into Beau's energy and letting him tell stories.

Kenzie Michaels said...

LOL:) I tried that with Oreo, but he just gave me that feline haughty look and went out the door. Guess everyone will talk to me when it's time!