Tuesday, December 22, 2009

PC Christmas??

Merry Christmas
Happy Holidays
Season's Greetings
Happy New Year

Which one do you prefer?

Several years ago, I got tired of saying Merry Christmas and thought I was being more creative by saying 'Happy Holidays' wherever I went. Imagine my shock when I discovered it was not 'Politically Correct' to wish those around me Merry Christmas, because I might 'offend' someone who practiced Hanukkah or Kwanza, or was even an atheist. And since I happen to be a devout Christian who is appalled at the ACLU's attempt to remove God from everything and thereby destroying humanity, I've returned to MERRY CHRISTMAS.

I'm a Christian and proud of it. And I think we've gotten so worried about offending everyone else, we're willing to set aside our beliefs? Give me a break! We're in the midst of a crisis. America is in danger of losing her moral compass. You're offended by public prayer? Fine; don't pray. You don't want to say 'Under God'? Skip that part. Don't agree with our National Anthem? Fine; don't sing. Just stand there respectfully. But don't take away my right to show a moment of silence for the fallen and let me honor my flag.

And for the record, I may not be Jewish, but I love Hanukkah. I've played the dreidle, eaten honey cake and potato latkes. And thanks to a lesson on the Passover, I discovered I love lamb. Several years ago, my neighbors were from Ethiopia and we were fortunate to share in some of their cultural traditions.

It's Christmas, people. Let this be a time of coming together to celebrate whatever your beliefs say about this time of year. Let's not slam each other's views and be an 'us against them' mentality. Instead, this is a time of celebration and family.

Merry Christmas Charlie Brown!

No comments: