Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Where's My Tour?

When I first decided to write a book, I envisioned a scene on The Love Boat: World's Youngest Author takes a book-signing cruise and gets romantically involved with Doc. Yes...I also liked Gopher, but ultimately Doc was my guy.

Needless to say, it didn't happen.

Fast-forward twenty years. I have my first agent, and everyone I've let read my work raves about it. I dream of being published and being sent out on the Great Publicity Tour. Book signings in nearly every major city. Guest spots on Regis and Kelly. The Early Show. Morning TV news shows.

Didn't. Quite. Happen.

What did happen?

I learned to promote myself. Get out there and talk to people, overcoming my shyness. I've learned to work the topic of my writing into nearly every conversation (probably drives my family nuts, lol!) and carry my business cards everywhere I go.

Case in point: Two years ago I was raving to my mother about a book I'd read, and just happened to have it with me. She and I were in the bathroom of a local steakhouse, and as we were washing our hands, a woman exits a stall and asks me about the book. I whipped it out of the diaper bag and showed it to her, and produced my own business card and pen so she could write down the info. And yes, I also told her I was an author, so now she had TWO websites to peruse, instead of sending her next door to Books-A-Million (cause she can't find mine there, ha ha!). You never know where you're going to meet a potential customer.

I'd still like to do a book tour like a friend of mine, the above author. Click here for her info. Maybe one day it will happen. After all, Jamie's on her fourth book; I'm only on my first. Unless you count my alter-ego; then I've got three:)

So maybe one day it will happen, or maybe I'll simply be 'in demand' around Blogger, doing interviews and letting others post blurbs and excerpts. Who knows?

Oh, and contrary to popular belief, I did not get the 10K advance; I still do my own housework; money is still tight. I'm not JK Rowlings, Stephen King, or even Danielle Steele or Nora Roberts. When I attain their popularity level, I'll let you know!

Wow!
Am I glad I checked my other email account! FB wants the next three chapters of Teacher's Pet! Woo Hoo! I hope they like it; keeping my fingers crossed:)

No comments: