Monday, October 10, 2011

"Why Don't You Understand? This Is The Story Line!"

Scene:  Friend of Kenzie's house, with Barbie Townhouse.

Kenzie holds Malibu Barbie, dressed in silver sheath and Lillian, Barbie doll with changeable hair, dressed in tennis outfit. Both dolls are on top floor 'bedroom'.  Obviously Barbie is getting ready to go to a dance with Ken, and Lillie is helping her.

Downstairs, K holds Ken, dressed in formal wear.  A smaller doll, Skipper, 'answers' the door.

Skipper:  Hi Ken.  Barbie's upstairs.

Ken:  I'm ready to take her to the prom.

(Barbie gets up and gets in elevator to go downstairs):   I hope I look alright, Lil.

Lillie (follows Barbie to elevator):  You look GREAT!  I wish I could go.

Barbie:  Maybe Ken's friend Tom will be with him.

Both dolls arrive downstairs and greet Ken.

Barbie:  Ken, where is Tom?  I thought he was going to take Lillie.

Ken (looking puzzled.  K roots around in toy box and finds the Lone Ranger):  Am I late?  Oh...you're Lillian?  Gee, you're taller than I am.

Lillie:  You're wearing a mask?  I want to see what you look like.

Tom:  No can do, ma'am.  I've got to be able to save damsels in distress at any moment.  And I can't be recognized.  Can you ride a horse?

Lillie:  Uh, Barbie, I guess I'll sit this one out.

Skipper:  I'll go!  I love to ride horses!

Tom and Skipper go off.  Ken, who's been propped up beside the townhouse, turns to Barbie:  Shall we?

Kenzie:  Are you insane?  Skipper can't go to the prom with the Lone Ranger; she's only in the 6th grade!

K:  Well, at least she's shorter than Tom.  What boy wants to be seen with someone who towers over them?

Kenzie:  He was supposed to throw her over her shoulder.  Then at the prom, while dancing to "Close To You", he agrees to take off his mask and they fall in love....and then some bullies try to take Barbie away from Ken and a fist-fight happens, so everyone escapes on Silver after the tires are slashed on the camper....

K:  I don't want to play anymore.  Let's go outside.

**************
The above scenario is one reason I liked to play by myself.  I had the story line mapped out, or at least somewhat developed in my head, and couldn't understand why it wasn't 'obvious' to my playmates.  I couldn't TELL them what was going to happen; I just 'knew' it.  And it wouldn't be for another three or four years before I had the skills to WRITE it down.

I acted out my own continuing version of movies and books.  And got frustrated when no one wanted to go along with it.  And when my hormones kicked in at age 14, I inserted myself into romance novels, mainly the civil war era or Victorian historical ones.

I devoured Jean M Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear and especially Valley of the Horses.  And when I got to college and found out how much fun sex could be, I started writing it.  But there was a problem:  I was so descriptive, the only thing I could find in comparison was found in my dad's Playboys (my sister and I used to get them out and make fun of the girls.  I loved reading the comics though!).  But what good Christian girl read that sort of thing?  So I put them away or in one case, destroyed it.

And then in 2002, I found the Ellora's Cave site and ordered two books.  And a whole new world opened up!  Here were the books I wanted!  And I didn't have to be embarrassed, because no one could see me with them in my hand at the store!  (Yes, I've been too embarrassed to check out or buy the Kama Sutra, and it took me until 1994 to be comfortable buying condoms, even though I'd been married for three years by then!)

So yes, I'm a good Christian gal with a wild side.  I'm also finally getting comfortable enough to let her out occasionally.

No comments: