Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I Give Thanks For...

Being born in the USA
The love of my family
Having the freedom of religion
Having a roof over our heads, clothing on our backs, and food on the table
Healthy, well-adjusted kids
Having the freedom to stay home and raise my children
My creative brain, even when it wakes me up at 3am, demanding my attention
My healthy body, even though it lets me down once or twice a year
My friends, both old and new, and those I've never met in person
Vehicles which get us from Point A to Point B

Thanksgiving Day has always meant a family gathering of some kind, even though one of my favorites involved a motel stay and all the pool time we wanted. Another one was spent in front of the TV, watching cable television for the first time.

It's just not Thanksgiving without turkey, ham, potatoes, hot rolls, green beans, corn, and acres of desserts. Okay; maybe not acres, but plenty of pie, cake, brownie, and whipped cream. I'm not a pumpkin pie eater, but I will take a few spoonfuls of Cool Whip in a bowl!

Over the years, we've added our own touches: My MIL's noodles. Mom's shrimp coctail. My bacon-tomato cups. Daughter's brownies.

This year, we're having a pitch-in. Five families, or should I say households, are converging together to provide a feast. We're hosting and providing the turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, rolls, and appetizers. Household #2 is bringing the pies. Household #3, the stuffing and lemon cookies. HH#4, the green bean casserole and sweet potatoes. HH#5, the noodles. A sixth household has been invited, and told to bring whatever they wish. And every year, the 'strays' arrive, teenagers who know they will find laughter, friendship, and food at our house.

The door is open; come on over and enjoy our feast! I guarrantee you'll leave with a full stomach and as many leftovers as you can carry.

No comments: