What Five Things Can A Person Do To Win My Heart?
I'm going to cheat, and answer this two ways.
As An Author:
1) "Feed Me, Seymore!". A guy once told me on a date that I was the only girl who'd actually eaten her meal on the 1st date. Uuuummmm, yeah, this gal likes her food. I don't buy into the whole notion of not wanting the guy to see what I look like while eating; hell, I think taking a guy to a Greek restaurant is an excellent 1st date! If he can't handle the way I eat a gyro, then there's no point in pursuing this any further.
2) Respect My Need For Space. Every once in a while, I get the urge to write non-stop. If you're gonna nag me about my computer use, forget it.
3) Share My Taste In Music or Humor, Or At Least Don't Ridicule Me: I have quirky tastes, and if I'm in the mood to watch Rocky Horror Picture Show or Spinal Tap, either thrill me by getting the references if I tell you I like my speakers on 11, or ask 'is that an armadillo in your trousers?'
"You know, dozens of people spontaneously combust every day; it's just not widely talked about."
"That'll do, pig."
"You gotta jump to your left...."
"You murdered my father; preepare to die!" (Yes, I purposefully misspelled 'prepare'. If you get it, kudos to you!)
*clears throat* Moving on......
4) Buy me books. Or Amazon/B&N gift cards. Build me shelves for my print books.
5) Offer to clean the kitchen, or at least help with clean up, if I've cooked you a nice meal! Or even better, cook for me:) And have a sing-a-long to make the chore go faster.....
As A Mom:
1) Same As #1 Above. You can never go wrong with food, lol!
2) Take a GENUINE Interest In My Kids and In Me: My kids and I come as a package deal. If you don't like my kids, then take a hike.
3) Same As #3 Above: Case in point: Last night, my husband handed me his cup and asked me to 'ice me, baby.' My oldest son and I looked at each other and started rapping... "Alright stop. Collaborate and listen...Ice is back with a brand new ambition..." Needless to say, he was not exactly amused....
Nor was my dad back in 1983, when my sister and I decided to sing while coming home from somewhere with our parents. My dad asked us to sing something quieter, like Rock of Ages. My sis and I looked at each other and started in. "Rise up, gather round, rock this place to the ground..."
Again, my father was not amused, but Mom laughed!
Have you picked up on my sense of humor yet?
4) Same as #4 Above: You can never go wrong with books!
5) Same as #5 Above. Or at least be willing to either take me out, order pizza, or bring home Arby's for lunch if I'm deep into my aliens' lives! If I've been writing all day, the last thing I want to do is cook!
See? I'm fairly easy to please. Not high-maintenance at all. Oh and as a bonus, go with me to a few events and actually act INTERESTED? Or if you're not after the 1st one, still go with me and go off and do your own thing before picking me up? We can talk about both events!
To see the way to other authors' hearts, click here.