Thursday, June 1, 2017

Changes In Reading Habits #MFRW Authors #22

Ten years ago, if someone would have asked me what my biggest pet peeve in a book was, I'd have said, "Dry writing; reading older books with lots of description; not enough dialogue."

Now, I notice head-hopping.

Purple Prose.

Spelling/punctuation errors (specifically, those exclamation marks!!!).

Thanks to a Certain Trilogy, there are words I can't stand, as well as someone writing in 1st person-Present tense.

Granted, my old Steele, Roberts, Michaels (Judith, not my own, lol!), and other books I devoured from 1980-2006 are still in storage, so it will probably be several months until I get around to rereading them (I'm hoping to unearth them this fall!).  It will be interesting to see if I can keep my editing hat 'off' while I read them.

What do other authors take issue with in books? Go here to find out:)

So How Was The Race?
Spectacular!  It was routine until lap 54 when Scott Dixon and Jay Howard tangled, sending Dixon's car flying into the infield fence and nearly taking out a cameraman.  I'm amazed Dixon only ended up with an injury to an ankle!  They stopped the race to repair the fence (1st time I'd seen a red flag that wasn't weather-related), and the other amazing thing was this was the 1st year the line to the women's restroom was SHORTER than the men's.

And yes, I was thrilled when Takuma Sato won:)  The only thing I wasn't happy about was, Rookie of the Year went to the rookie who finished 29th, rather than the one who finished 3rd.  What a break in tradition!


Again, forgive me because I'm traveling home this weekend.  I should be able to check in on Saturday!  I didn't realize how tired I'd be last Monday; I read everyone's posts, but just didn't have the energy to sign in and comment.  Guess being stuck in traffic for 2 hours really takes a toll on a person.

8 comments:

coaldancer said...

I've been noticing purple prose a lot lately. Is it just me, or has it become more prevalent recently?

Meka James said...

I wonder if we're thinking of the same trilogy when we picked out some of our pet peeves.

The purple prose, I get lost in that. Sometimes I'm a little jealous that I can't make things sound so flowy and romantic, but at the other time I wonder who really thinks/talks like that. I know we have to add in extra to help set a scene, but 2 pages talking about how the wind blew a leaf I think could be a bit much.

And yes 2 hours in traffic can take a heck of a lot out of you.

Linda McLaughlin said...

Excessive head hopping bothers me. I feel like I'm at a tennis match watching the POV being lobbed from character to character.

I saw that accident on TV. Glad it wasn't any worse than it was. And a women's bathroom line shorter than the men's? You witnessed a miracle, my friend. (Please note, no exclamation points. :-)

Ed Hoornaert said...

Overblown descriptions are indeed wearisome.

Alina K. Field said...

Head hopping is so annoying, and I always have to stop and figure out what just happened. As an author, I worry so much about getting the emotion into the story without getting too purply.

How fun that you got to go to the Indy 500! I think that's on my husband's bucket list, along with the Kentucky Derby.

Harry Burns said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harry Burns said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kenzie Michaels said...

@Coaldancer: The only one I've noticed is in a member of my writer's group. He's in his 70s, so this is what he's grown up reading, lol!

@Meka: Hahaha....I saw that! Possibly:)

@Linda: I took a picture of that line, for history's sake! A miracle, indeed:)

@Ed: That's why description is so hard for me....I don't like to read it, so why would I write it? Oh wait....I have to paint a picture with words.....;)

@Alina: I think it would be fun to attend the Derby!

Thanks for commenting everyone!