Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Once Upon A Time....

Kenzie decided to write a story.

She worked hard on it for weeks, and when she was satisfied with what she'd written, she showed it to a friend...who promptly laughed at her.

"Why are you writing something you know nothing about? This passage is clearly a rip-off of Woman of Substance....and here you have a nineteen year old girl having her uterus removed? What kind of sick joke is THAT?"

(Hangs head in shame) "I stuck that meal description in because I didn't want to leave it blank. And I wanted her to enjoy sex without having to worry about birth control."

(Knocks on my head) "Hellooooo! Condoms or at least the Pill? You can do better than this."

That story is still in my file cabinet. I've cannibilized the characters' names and have relocated it from England to the USA. I keep it around as a reminder of my first effort to produce something other than a term paper or a short story.

To date, I have 26 books in various stages of development. Eight of those are completed and ready to be polished or submitted. (That number would have been ten, except I subbed two of them last week. Wish me luck!) My muse is playing with me; I've been getting inspired in 3 or 600 word doses. I really wish one set of characters or one particular storyline would grab me by the throat and not let go until I've written everything down. But one day it will, and my family will complain my attention is elsewhere.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for my edits to arrive for Teacher's Pet. Our tax money will arrive next week, and I'm hoping to be able to pay for my web hosting, so everyone can see my fabulous website!

No comments: