Monday, January 5, 2009

Reader Questions and Answers

A few questions were raised on The Deadly Vixens, concerning e-pubs vs print. Specifically, have I ever read a book so badly written it made me want to stop buying e-books?

The answer, of course, is a heartfelt NO; I don't think I'll ever stop reading, either print or e-books!

I have had to question my taste in reading material, however!

Case in point: I read two books by a certain author and actually thought, 'Why the hell did they feel the need to write this?' To me, it would have been a story better suited to Hustler magazine, or some other forum. There was really no romance; no HEA; and no, you're not going to drag the author's name nor the publisher out of me. I will not read any more of this author's work, even while this particular author is gaining popularity. Maybe if I read another couple of excerpts which grab my attention, I'll give them another chance. After all, maybe it was a fluke, and the subsequent books are nothing like the first two?

There's another series I've read two books of, and was not impressed with either the storyline or the plot. However, both books have been nominated for awards. So does this mean my taste in reading material is questionable, that I cannot discern a good book from a bad one? Or it it strictly personal choice? After all, there are Academy Award winning movies which I found extremely boring!

But just because the mass readers and critics love a certain book does not mean I'll necessarily like it. And no, I won't stop reading books just because I stopped reading a particular author or story.

Update on Edits:
Keep your fingers crossed; I just sent the MS back for approval! I'll let you know what happens!

No comments: